Meaning: to regard (God) with reverence and awe.
Synonyms: stand in awe of, regard with awe, revere, reverence, venerate, respect
Used in a Biblical sentence:
God blesses those who revere Him, those who acknowledge His power, greatness and authority.
Psalm 115:13 says that Yahweh will bless those who fear Him, both the great and the lowly.
Fear of the Lord brings:
- abundance/ prosperity – “How blessed is everyone who fears the LORD, Who walks in His ways. When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands, You will be happy and it will be well with you. Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine Within your house, Your children like olive plants Around your table.” (Psalm 128:1-4)
- protection – “The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them.” (Psalm 34:7)
- longevity – “The fear of the LORD prolongs life, But the years of the wicked will be shortened.” (Proverbs 10:27)
- deliverance – “Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him, On those who hope for His lovingkindness, To deliver their soul from death And to keep them alive in famine.” (Psalm 33:18-19)
- riches and honour and life – “The reward of humility and the fear of the LORD Are riches, honour and life.” (Proverbs 22:4)
Like Dirty Bibles on Facebook.